What Am I Doing

Recollect and modify my body, mind and soul

May 24, 2008

My Host Family

Hokaido Honeydrew the most expensive fruit in Japan

This evening, about 82 foreigners going to meet their host family at ochanomitsu. And I am in.

About one month ago, my friends and I went there to fill in the form and were interviewed by two Japanese women. We have been informed that if there are too many applicants, they will pick randomly. It took quite a while for the run, till last week, i received an invitation letter along with my gaasan`s photo (gaasan, refer to mother in Japanese) I was selected. `YES!`

Today, after the welcoming ceremony, we have been divided into few groups according to our host family address. Different groups have different activities since not all of them could afford us to the Tokyo Dome Hotel. Some having ice breaking games, some having afternoon tea together, and I was taken back to my host family house to have my dinner there.

My gaasan, is a warm and kind women who has two children, one boy, one girl, both are thirties now, and one four years old granddaughter. Besides me, she has totally adopted more than two foreigner. The earliest one is a Thai government supported student, about eighteen years ago. The one before me is a Taiwanese lady, shall meet her next weekend in the party. `Yeah, we got a party!`

My tousan (father) is far more friendly than I expected when I entered his house. By the time, he was watching a baseball match and seems like no business to deal with me. Luckily, I was wrong. Nice to have him as a japanese father. He works an accountant and has his own office that located besides his house. He is his own boss.

At uchi (home), we chatted and exchanged information about our culture and country. Gaasan oderred sushi set delivery for each of us since I told her I haven`t taken sushi in Japan. Well, she has cooked some dishes beforehand, I don`t know that till they were put on the table. Believe me, I was stuffed.

We have Hokaido honeydrew, which is given by tousan no friend, as the dessert. It is quite a special fruit, as you see, the skin of the fruit is like a piece of art, when you touch it, you could feel the white strip. Moreover, the taste is the sweetiest compared to other species. (Too sweet by the way) The weirdest part is, the fruit likes a solid liquid. You couldn`t chew it since it melts in your mouth like ice cream. Well, I guess that`s the reason why it got to be the most expensive fruit in Japan. It is a potentially large market in Japan for people who couldn`t chew any longer, the wealthy old folks.

Before I left, I was given a box of alcoholic chocolates, my favourate snack, together with some fruits. Then, gaasan walked me to the nearby train station and got me a ticket.

Really appreciate them for what they have done. I was having a great time. Thanks!

P.S. Our group have a party on next Saturday. All of the parents are going to cook for us, yeah!

7 comments:

Joey said...

next time i also go apply for a host parent. I think they won't provide fruits...maybe wine haha

WhyWai said...

maybe they will ask u provide them fruit...

joycelim said...

I want a slice of the Hokkaido honeydew! How much is it actually?? Have you seen how much a cubic (shaped) watermelon in Japan costs?? Damn they are expensive!

darryl said...

wa.. i wanna try also.! seems like you are pretty lucky heh.. dont think it's that easy to get host family.. also good good yan si like zw's host family.. take care and enjoy!

Edison Chow said...

actually, i think all of us who applied, everyone got their host family. ya, i am gratitude to be able to meet them

tc said...

omg.. the honeydew that always curi by sinosuke nohara!! lol.. chee hang don eat.. later beat backside..

Sora said...

shin chan curi honeydrew, beat backside? well, i have finished digested it for long.